Saturday, April 11, 2009

Published in National Geographic

Now for something a little unrelated to wedding photography, but very cool nonetheless. Last year I worked on a story for The New York Times about the rehabilitation of Micheal Vick's fighting pit bulls at an animal sanctuary in Kanab, Utah. You can view a multimedia piece with all the photos here.

Well, to my surprise, one of the photos used for that story was picked up by National Geographic and has been published in the April edition of the magazine, on newsstands right now.

Here it is:

Photobucket

And here's the original photo. Lucas was one of Vick's champion fighters, the scars were a real telling factor of how brutal the dog fighting can be. I remember hesitating a bit when they invited me into the cage to photograph him, only to find out Lucas was one of the nicest dogs I had ever met....

Photobucket

2 comments:

Rae said...

Phill and I KNEW that was your photo!!! I had randomly elected to buy that particular issue just recently. I don't remember why--but we looked in the back and were all proud when we saw it. :) We looked for your name; it was kind of a bummer it wasn't in there....anyway, though. This is a gorgeous heart-wrenching picture.

(And...I win for longest comment ever, I think)

Sarah said...

Super awesome about being in Nat Geo! I just read the little blurb next to the photo, and you know where it says the new season of Dogtown features two street dogs from Ethiopia? Well, one of those dogs is MY DOG! I am actually in that episode too... but thankfully only for a second.